I grew up in Nebraska, and took a year off after high school to apprentice with a ballet company. I returned to college, attending the University of Denver for my first year, and then transferring to Swarthmore College and graduating with distinction with a degree in psychology and cultural anthropology.
I received my master's and doctoral degrees from New York University's graduate program in clinical psychology in 1997. As part of that program, I completed an externship at Bellevue Hospital, and a year-long internship at Beth Israel Medical Center in New York City.
During and after graduate school, I worked as a research interviewer at the New York State Psychiatric Institute, studying suicidal behavior in mood/psychotic disorders and personality disorders. I also taught undergraduate research methods at NYU, served as an Executive Board member of the International Association for Cognitive Psychotherapy, and functioned as the managing editor of a pediatrics journal.
I completed a post-doctoral fellowship at the American Institute for Cognitive Therapy (in New York), and was subsequently invited to become a staff member there. After a number of years, I left to open my own practice. I was in solo private practice in New York City for 12 years, and for 3 years in Denver prior to joining The Colorado Center for Clinical Excellence. In New York, I supervised psychiatric residents learning cognitive-behavioral therapy (at Columbia Physicians and Surgeons Hospital), and learning family and couples therapy (at the NYU Child Study Center). In Denver, I have served as a clinical supervisor for DU's Graduate School of Professional Psychology.
affiliations & memberships
- Academy of Cognitive Therapy, Founding Fellow/Current Member
- Anxiety Disorders Association of America, Current Member
- Colorado Psychological Association, Current Member
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies, Current Member
- New York State Psychological Association, Past Member
publications & presentations
- Gruen, R. J., Schuldberg, D., Nelson, E. A., Epstein, L., Weiss, L., & Quinlan, D. M. (1994). Network Orientation and Depressive Symptomatology: Development of the Network Utilization Scale. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 13, 352-365.
- Harkavy Friedman, J. M. & Nelson, E. A. (1997). Assessment and intervention for the suicidal patient with schizophrenia. Psychiatric Quarterly, 68, 361-375.
- Harkavy Friedman, J. M. & Nelson, E. A. (1997). Management of the suicidal patient with schizophrenia. Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 20, 625-640.
- Nelson, E. A. (1997). "Poor Insight" as a Manifestation of Psychological Defensiveness in Schizophenia. Unpublished doctoral dissertation. New York University: New York, NY.
- Harkavy Friedman J. M., Haas G., Nelson E., Butler P., Gorman J. J., Amador X., Yale S., & Mann J. J. CSF Metabolites and Clinical Features in Schizophrenia: Relationship to Suicidal Behavior. Poster presented at the annual conference of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, Las Croabs, Puerto Rico, December 1998.
- Harkavy Friedman J. M., Nelson E., Amador X., & Mann J. J. High Risk Behavior in Schizophrenia: Examining Aggression, Impulsivity, Depression, Suicidal Behavior and Clinical Symptoms. Poster presented at the New York State Office of Mental Health Eleventh Annual Research Conference, Albany, New York, December 1998.
- Nelson E. & Cohen S. (1999). Book review of Case Studies in Couple and Family Therapy (F. Dattilio, Ed.). Journal of Cognitive Psychotherapy, 13, 167-172.
- Harkavy-Friedman J. & Nelson E. A. (1999). The complexity of preventing suicidal behavior in schizophrenia. Journal of the California Alliance for the Mentally Ill, 10, 53-55.
- Harkavy Friedman J. M., Nelson E., Amador X., & Mann J. J. Aggression, Impulsivity, Suicidal Behavior and Clinical Features in Schizophrenia. Poster presented at the International Congress on Schizophrenia Research, Santa Fe, New Mexico, April 1999.
- Kimhy D., Harkavy-Friedman, J.M., & Nelson E. (2004). Identifying life stressors of patients with schizophrenia at hospital discharge (letter to the Editor). Psychiatric Services, 55, 1444-1445.